Friday, October 8, 2010

I made up a recipe! And it was goooood...

My CSA is deep into fall veggies at this point. What does a girl do with a butternut squash, a buttercup squash, a bunch of potatoes and whatever is in the fridge? Make soup of course!
Potato-Squash soup!
Makes about 4 big bowls
Ingredients:
  • Two 2-3 pound squashes. I used a butternut and a buttercup, but only because I had them. Go wild! Cut in half, scoop the seeds out of the middle.
  • Two pounds of potatoes. I had Yukon Golds. Cleaned and sliced in half.
  • One yellow onion. Cut in half.
  • One head of garlic. Trust me on this. You are going to roast it and it will be amazing.
  • Olive oil.
  • Salt and pepper.
  • Tofutti sour cream.
Directions:
  1. Set your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. place all your veggies (except the head garlic) cut side down in baking pans. It took me two baking pans, but all my pans are small as I only have a 3/4 sized oven.
  3. Generously pour olive oil over the veggies.
  4. Place veggies in the oven uncovered. Bake for 45 minutes or until the squashes are easily pierced with a knife.
  5. For the garlic, slice off the top quarter of the head (do not remove all the papery stuff) exposing the cloves. Take a piece of tin foil and surround the garlic, leaving the top open. Pour olive oil on the top of the garlic, and then twist the tin foil closed. place in the oven and bake along with the other veggies, but only for 20-30 minutes.
  6. After everything has cooled, scrape it all into a strong food processor (we have a Vitamix. Highly recommended!). Scrape out the squashes, throw the potatoes and onion in. For the garlic, take it out of the tin foil, (take a moment to smell the awesomeness that is roasted garlic,) and squeeze the cloves out of the skin into the food processor.
  7. Depending on how thick you like your soup, thin with a little water or veggie broth. I didn't thin it at all. It was delicious.
  8. Blend. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  9. Portion into bowls and swirl in a scoop of Tofutti sour cream.
  10. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yuuuummmmy! Can't wait to talk tomorrow! I'll give you a call around 10 or so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks delicious! I can practically smell the garlic (I've never roasted garlic....what have I been waiting for?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks JL! Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete